The reason why you must have a Chartered Surveyor?

James McPhail Chartered Surveyor

Hi there! My name is James McPhail, and I would like to let you know a bit about the reasons you may need a chartered surveyor, but aren’t always aware why.

Find out about my surveying and estimation products at

You can find me listed here on Twitter in addition to Facebook

Who am I? Learn about James McPhail

Firstly, a little bit of an introduction with regards to me.

I began in the construction industry over 30 years ago, and in this period have held a large range of rolls from design to more manual.

Roughly 22 years ago, I thought I would train as a surveyor and sooner or later joined up with the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), which is the regulating body that accredits professionals within the land, property, design, and national infrastructure sectors, global.

Just what does a Chartered Surveyor achieve?

Chartered Surveyors are principally property gurus but particularly well trained, and our purpose is always to deliver a good number of balanced solutions around things involved with property.

We will be involved in all aspects of real estate and building consultancy and at the simplest level, duties incorporate valuing real estate and also searching for structural faults in homes

Chartered surveyors can offer mortgage valuations, homebuyer's appraisal together with valuations, full structure reviews, building surveyors' solutions, quantity surveying, ground surveying, auctioneering, private property administration as well as varieties of survey- and building-related professional advice.

It is not usual for every different member to provide skills in most areas, and because of this alliance or businesses are instituted to develop general strategies qualified to offer a larger range of surveying solutions.

Just how do you become a Chartered Surveyor?

I have produced some good info for those of you who may possibly like to go after this career path.

1st, you’ll must achieve a Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) certified degree qualification, for instance surveying, construction, civil engineering, or alternatively building engineering, accompanied by certified advancement training.

If you have a non-RICS recognised degree, you’ll need to undertake a postgraduate course in surveying. You can do this through:

A company's college graduate training system
Studying full time at an RICS-accredited university or college
Getting a distance studying postgraduate changing program (so long as you’re currently doing work in engineering)

When you have an HNC, HND or maybe foundation diploma in surveying or construction, you will be able to start working as a surveying technical assistant then take on further certification.

Some businesses may also offer you a college degree apprenticeship programme.

The RICS offers more information relating to surveying work and also approved degree programmes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *